The Oliver Knapp Memorial Scholarship fund is established by the Edwardsville High Band & Boosters organizations in honor of Oliver Knapp. Oliver passed away on May 30, 2017 after a courageous battle with cancer. Oliver was a 2017 graduate of Edwardsville High School where he had been a member of the band and Winter Drumline. He loved listening to music and playing the drums.
1. To recognize two (2) graduating Edwardsville High School students who plan to participate in a collegiate level music performance group or activity (credit or non-credit), during post-high school continuing education at a 2 or 4 year college or university. A total of 2 - $1,000 scholarships are available for the upcoming 2019-2020 academic year.
2. To encourage ongoing interest and growth of the graduate’s musical abilities into the future.
1. An applicant must be in their final year of high school at Edwardsville High School (EHS), currently enrolled in a performing arts program at EHS, and meet graduation requirements as set forth in the Edwardsville High School Course Handbook and Edwardsville Community Unit District #7 Handbook.
2. Scholarship must be used for the academic year for which it is awarded.
3. Applicant fully completes and provides the following documentation, in a sealed envelope, to one of the Edwardsville High School Band Directors by Friday, March 1, 2019. a. Fully completed application form (see page 3). b. Essay about how music has made a difference in his/her life (500 words maximum length, typed). c. Applicant resume (listing achievements, accomplishments, honors, activities, community service, and name 3 references including address and phone numbers). d. Edwardsville High School transcript - minimum GPA requirement of 3.0/4 e. Letter of recommendation from an EHS Faculty member or other music instructor/director outside of EHS (cannot be from any performing arts Directors at the high school).
No late submissions of the above in full or part will be accepted after the above deadline. AWARDING OF SCHOLARSHIPS:
The scholarship selection committee will consist of the following members: Band Directors, Edwardsville Band Booster Executive Board members (unless their student is an applicant), and other selected at-large members. The goal is the select only quality applicants. In determining quality, the following will be considered: the level of an applicant’s overall achievements, the quantity and quality of the applicant’s music-related accomplishments, amount of community service, and the level of applicant’s commitment to future music-related performance and/or activity.
The scholarship recipient(s) will be honored at the annual EHS Senior Awards ceremony in May.
REVENUE SOURCE: The scholarship fund will be credited throughout each fiscal year from donations and other fundraising efforts as determined by a majority vote from the Edwardsville Band Boosters Executive Board members. The award amounts each year will be pre-determined by a vote of the Edwardsville Band Boosters Executive Board members based on the amount of funds available in the scholarship account as of January 31st of each school year.
METHOD OF PAYMENT: Scholarship payments will be made payable to the receiving educational institution. Proof of enrollment (class transcript), including proof of participation in credit or non-credit music performance ensemble per class transcript and/or letter from ensemble director is required before check(s) will be issued. One check for 50% of the award at the start of the 1st semester, and second check for balance of the award at the beginning of the 2nd semester with proof of enrollment (as stated above) at the beginning of each semester provided by the recipient.
OLIVER KNAPP MEMORIAL SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION CLASS OF 2018 EDWARDSVILLE HIGH SCHOOL BAND
For a copy of the scholarship application, please click here, or you can obtain a copy in the Guidance Office.